Spidey

Spidey
I'll Say What I Want To Say

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Moon Knights Insight

An account from a true believer in the Dade County Wars






1 - South Dade Few have been able to step into bigger shoes and actually improve the program they have stepped into. Coach Balmaceda has done that and more. Year after year he comes out with weapons previously unknown. Talent after talent come out of the Buck training facilities. Yes, he has a lot of help, yes he has a kids program, yes he has multiple middle schools. Some would argue that this is the reason that his teams are great, I say that without him those programs and kids would suffer. Every great program needs a leader and he has proven that he can lead his teams to the promise land. This year he has his best team in quite some time and with high hopes he starts this season with a State Title on his wish list. A REAL STATE TITLE, not one that is bought and paid for. I seldom hear positive things about his kids but let me say that his kids are almost always polite and respectful, which is more than I can say for his fans. Good luck to him and his staff this year.


2 - Columbus – With all the talk about recruiting in the state of Florida and even here in Dade county, nothing is ever mentioned about the Dark Huskter and his minions. He has quietly built a solid program and one that will compete against South Dade next year as the top dogs in the county. He has a full staff and loads of money to work with and, lets not forget, he is a ‘pretty’ decent coach. His resume was already full of accolades and now he adds more by reviving a dead program. Let’s be honest, not just reviving it but making it one of the top programs in the county. His team will consist of names very familiar to long time county coaches. A team on the verge of becoming one of the great teams in our county. All because of his unique aura and incredible ability to use the people around him to better his program. A true coach in the whole sense of the word.


3- Southridge – Johnson has finally broken out of the heavy and long shadow of the Dark Huskter. He now has a team that is his and he will do great. Many people know that he was the concrete foundation to Huskters teams at Southridge. Most thought that Johnson would fail in his attempt at maintaining that program where it is supposed to be but it looks like he finally has the right personell in place. If I were a betting man I would place money on this teams immediate future. Johnson has a bunch of talented kids and listen closely, THEY WILL MAKE NOISE this year. Another point to add is that his team is spread out throughout the line up. Tough lightweights, some middleweights, and some VERY studdly upperweights.

4 - Southwest – This is a team that seems predestined to always be in the middle of the pack even though they have great kids and a pretty good coach. Word has it that they now have many former wrestlers coming back and trying to boost that program to the elite level. Once again they have tough lightweights, good to great middleweights, and then they are lacking at the heavier weights. Like I said, a team that seems predestined to always fall in the middle.

5 - Braddock – Wow has times changed. I never thought I would put Braddock down this far in any rankings. They obviously have the twin state champion duo of the Chandlers as well as their constant companion Montoto. They have Perez who is due for a great year after last years season ending injury. They have Villalobos and Medina shoring up the middle with Perez and then, well that’s it. Braddock seem to remind me of all the teams in the NBA while Jordan and the Bull’s were playing, as well as the Braves of years past. Always the bridesmaid and never the Bride. Those kids work hard and have talent but there is always something missing that South Dade always exposes. Sucks for them to be around during the Southridge and South Dade pissing contest of years past only to be here when South Dade has the pissing contest with themselves year in and year out

6 - Palmetto – Simply because they are Palmetto and always bring something to the game even if it is a little midget with an attitude.

7 - HML – Simply put, they were impressive last week and I can only expect them to get better. Coach Turnip knows the takedown game almost as good as Balmaceda.

8 - Sunset – Simply because he is the best coach out there without the notoriety.

9 - American – I don’t know of many coaches who can jump from school to school and still make kids follow him. Pete Myers, Bill Mcdonald, and many others have gone from team to team and that hasn’t panned out. I don’t see American being the type of school that Osorio can revive. He does have more talent but that is a different kind of kid. I am not holding my breath on this one.

10 - Hialeah – Word has it that HML State Champ Carlos Ponce is the new coach. He probably has some kids from years past and he is young energetic and ready for the trial and tribulations that come with being a head coach. I am sure he will lean on Turnip for advice and guidance. That program is in good hands with Ponce.


31 comments:

darksidegrapler said...

You are correct Balmaceda Walk into a very good program and made it great.

The DarkHusker and his gravel yell are a ledgend and Johnson is putting it together. Should be a great year.

Spiderman said...

OK Moonie what do you think about your article and the graphics?

You happy with the result?

Moon Knight said...

It looks great. So now we have Doctor Doom's rankings and mine. Now we need to see KW's, Mysterio's, Darkside Grappler's, and of course YOURS. This should make for a good debate.

Moon Knight said...

What do you think of the rankings Spiderman. What about you guys Doom, KW, and others?

CoachKW said...

Moonie,

I will be breaking down my top 10 in the coming weeks. You gave me some things to consider, but you also forgot some tough teams.

Remember that most of the strength is south of Flager.

Moon Knight said...

What other teams do you see that are not on the list? Can't wait to see your list so we can compare. I am looking at Doom's list and taking my own notes.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Homestead. They got a bunch of very strong athletes and they looked tough.

Anonymous said...

1.Southdade

2.Southridge

3.Southwest

4.Columbus

5.Braddock

6.Palmetto

7.Homestead

8.Hialeah

9.HML

10.Miami High

The real rankings.

Spiderman said...

I wish you anonymous guys would get aliases. Simply for the sake of continuity, so that we know who is saying what. Of course I willnot demand that you do so, you may feel free to continue as you are but when some time you say something pertinent and then expect us to believe it was you and not some other anonymous person, then how would we know the difference.

DR. DOOM said...

Moonknight,
I enjoyed your ensight and agree with some of your rankings. I planned on doing a synopsis myself but just wanted to start the whole ranking debate. Little midget with an attitude is hilarious, I almost pissed myself. I think you are giving Columbus a little to much credit. When I get time I'll try to give my own two cents.

DR DOOM

Moon Knight said...

I will look forward to seeing your list revised and posted on the blog. I am encouraged to see many people comment on these rankings. I am not sure what you mean by Columbus. They seem like they are ready to step up and join the party. wether they were recruited or just happen to land at Columbus, they do have a great coach and should do well this year and great next. What do you see that I am not taking into consideration.

DR. DOOM said...

Columbus is average at best. Southridge would spank them! Besides George Guliesian and maybe Rio who else do they have that is an above average wrestler? Abadin? Pena? Unless you know something that I don't. Southridge if healthy and eligible are the second best team in Dade county! Lubin, Morales, Fonte, Passmore, Plains, Chunga, lily just to name a few. The Ridge is also tough where the rest of the county is weak, 171,189,215, HWT!

Moon Knight said...

You truly are a wise man Doom. Very wise indeed. I have gone over my notes and agree with you to a point. The added horses that Southridge has does make them tough but Columbus has some weapons that some might have forgotten. Otero, Nodar, in the front while Abadin and Rabaza pick up the rear. Add Rio, Pena, and Guillisien and you have a tough team. You are right about how tough Southridge is but don't count out Columbus.

Spiderman said...

I am leaning more towards Moonie's side, while I don't think they are an elite team, the should be considered top 5, and will likely overperform.

Spidey

CoachKW said...

Yes, Otero and Nodar had some shining moments last year, but they are still going to be at loaded weight classes. I don't see Otero going 103 or 112, hell he was at 140 last weekend. That means he has gone past both Gulesian and Rio and into the big boy weights. Not many 103s can make a jump to 130 and be successful.

Rabaza is not close to being as good as the top heavyweight in Dade County. Chinchilla is hands down the number 1 hvy right now. The American hwy looked pretty impressive.

Columbus has had some very talented wrestlers the past several years, that just can't preform when it counts. I watched several of the kids I had coached lose in GMACs and Regions to lesser wrestler who just believed more. As good of a coach as Husk is, he is dealing with completely different kids than he has been used to.

Rio and Gulesian are top tier kids. Pena and Abadine are just a notch below them. But as the Good Dr said, there is not much else there. They need a little bit more time and a little bit more seasoning.

Moon Knight said...

Thank you for chiming in Coach KW. Once again I agree but when you compare Columbus and Southridge, you must see that Columbus is strong where Southridge is weak (middle weights). Columbus can hold their own with the light weights and upperweights, maybe going 50/50 (argueably), giving them the edge in a head to head match up. I am not saying that they are that much better than southridge but you must give them credit. Just the fact that we are talking about them in the top 3 is HUGE.

Anonymous said...

Who are the top Freshman newcomers who will be a threat to place this year?

CoachKW said...

I don't think they are in the top 3. That is the thing. I also don't think Doom has them in the top 3.

Remember Columbus still has 2 obstacles to get past in their district.

They should have won the District title last year, but they underperformed at that tournament.

Spiderman said...

I agreee they are likely not number 3, but I think they are at worst number 5.

Moon Knight said...

Ok, so if they are not in the top three, who is? I assume that you guys have Southridge at 2 so who is 3-4. Braddock and Southwest?

Spiderman said...

I would put Braddock above Columbus, thre numbers are superior, and though they look weakened on paper, they always have formidable kids just waiting to step in. I don't know that I would put South West above C though, I think C is probably #5

Moon Knight said...

1. South Dade

2. Southridge

3. Braddock

4. ? :-0 ?

5. Columbus

6. Southwest

Moon Knight said...

Once again you left a blank spot at 4. I am curious of who you guys are putting there. Palmetto, Homestead, South Miami?

Moon Knight said...

1- South Dade
2- Southridge
3- Braddock
4- Southwest
5- Columbus
5- Palmetto
7- American
8- HML
9- Sunset
10- Homestead

These are the teams that Doc Doom selected. He stays with the same rankings as I stay with mine. I can't see anyone besides Southridge creeping up above Columbus. Southwest is strong in certain weights but they are not powerful in any. Yes, they always perform above expectations but I just don't see it.

CoachKW said...

I see it the same way that Spidey sees it. I've had Braddock as the #2 team in their district for the past couple of years, but they are the 6 time District Champions. They always step up in the end. Part of the strength is that they compete as a team through the summer.

CoachKW said...

Moonie,

A returning State Runner Up is not powerful? What about his twin brother? Plus Olivera is back and still in the lightweight range. They may not have the names, but they have the tradition of turning out kids that leave the rest of the county shaking their heads about where they came from.

Imagine how good they would be if Glades did not feed Columbus, but feed Southwest like it is supposed to.

Spiderman said...

Where the hell did you get South Miami from? They would have a hard time cracking hte top 20.

I put Columbus 4th or 5th, I didn't specify, but I have not really looked much into it yet either.

Moon Knight said...

Spider, I gave you South Miami just in case you liked them, I mean you are Pardo right? Some one put Miami High, that is a bigger stretch. Coach KW, besides the two brothers and Olivera how can you realistically place them over Columbus? What else do they have? Unless I miss my guess Olivera lost a couple of times last week and does not seem capable of going 103. How is he going to do at 112? Not very well I think. How can you place them over Palmetto or Homestead? Southwest does come to the party every year but they seem lacking in power and NAMES as you so mentioned.

Spiderman said...

South Miami has had some great teams in the past, and some of my favorite wrestlers in recent memory wrestler there, Estopiñan, Smith and Moore, and others, but recently they have been pretty pedestrian. They did have one state finalist last year, and that was a mild surprise. His younger brother picked up and left for South Ridge, and a source tells me that it's the third year in a row that Pardo loses a kid to another school. Franklin, Lundy, and now Harris, so he is obviously doing something wrong. I thought they were going to have a resurgence, but now I am not so sure. Word has it he was planning on getting 2 county champs, Earl Hall was one, and the other was the Judo kid from the midle school, and neither one showed up, Hall is obviously at Homestead, and the Judo kid is supposedly at some private school in Hialeah, something Academy or other.

Anyway, I would definitely put BRD ahead of both Col and SW.

CoachKW said...

Moonie,

Ribot wasn't a name, until he turned up eligible right before Districts his junior year. It doesn't take a name to win and besides, I will take the 3 names of Southwest over the names you were throwing out for Columbus.

Let's rank them
Gulesian - All American, SQ
Rio - 2x SQ
Abadin - ??
Pena - Schoolboy AA (what about high school)

Southwest
Ramirez - State Runner Up
Olivera - SQ
Other Ramirez - not a SQ, but was at the loaded weight class.

Name wise they are equal. Every year Mendez turns out a Freddy Santos, a Denys Ribot or some other Sophomore that really turns it on and becomes a name.

I really like the those Columbus kids that I've mentioned. They are really good kids, I just don't think they've taken it to the next level yet as a whole team. That mental jump is a big thing that you keep overlooking. George was real impressive in Delaware (wrestling up a weight class)

I remember 2 years ago watching the Palmetto vs Southridge dual meet. Palmetto was acting like they didn't have a chance, then as the match is winding down and both Dieterles are up and the match is in reach, they realize they might pull of the upset. But it didn't happen because mentally they weren't prepared to win. The missed to many simple points that would have made the difference.

Plus, I haven't completely thought out my top 10. I know who I'm considering and I know Columbus was not part of the top 3. I was thinking some where of 4 - 7. Remember most posters last year did not have Palmetto being that good, but they had a senior class. After HML I will have a clearer picture of my top 10 and I plan on releasing it through out next week.

Anonymous said...

Here is a little help.
1. SD - No one close
2. SR - Full team of tough kids with an excellent coach
3. Brad. - Good middle weights, thats it.
4. Am. - Big jump, full team with an outstanding coach
5. Col. - soft kids;no one can make those kids into champs
6. HML - Tough, aggresive kids that have no idea what is wrestling
7. Pal. Just because
Rest of dade; just suck.